DO NOT POST COMMENTS UNTIL YOU ARE INSTRUCTED TO DO SO

AS OF 2/26 STUDENTS ARE NOW GIVEN PERMISSION TO POST THEIR COMMENTS.

INSTRUCTIONS FOR QUOTES FOR IRP

Choose a quote with a KNOWN author.
Your quote should be set up in the following manner.

Choose an appropriate title for your quote post, i.e. Becky's quote about winter, John's quote about happiness

"Put your chosen quote in quotation marks."
List the author of your quote underneath.
Leave a space.
Somewhere in the body of your quote include a picture that enhances your quote post.
Key in some background information on your author or something interesting you discovered about your author during the research of your quote that would be of interest to your peers.
Key in why you chose this quote, and/or why it has meaning to your life, etc.

Please have all quotes posted by the end of week 5.
When all quotes have been posted, I will instruct you to make comments (minimum of two). Pick two or more quotes by fellow classmates and add a comment to their post. You may comment on their quote or on their author or on the information they shared. Comments should be posted by the end of week 8.

Inappropriate quote posts or comments will not be tolerated and will result in a failing IRP grade. Build each other up, not tear each other down.


Wednesday, February 6, 2008

ONE


"I am only one, but still I am one.
I cannot do everything, but still I can
do something; and because I cannot do everything,
I will not refuse to do something that I can do."
Helen Keller





I chose a quote by Helen Keller because of the admiration I have for her. She traveled through life with only three of our five senses. This did not break her will to succeed in life. In 1904, Helen Keller became the first deaf-blind individual to earn a college degree.
I have often quoted her to my son, Nicholas, who has Cerebral Palsy. I use this quote as a "pick me up" when things seem hopeless. I explain to him that with determination he can accomplish anything. Even with her "limitations", Helen Keller was still able to have friendships with many famous and influential people; such as Alexander Graham Bell, Mark Twain, and U.S. President Franklin D. Roosevelt. She also was the first person in the U.S. to own an Akita dog. It was sent to her from Japan in 1938.


This quote is an inspiration for me, as well. I have a tendency to be pessimistic when the pressures of life seem unbearable. I only need to stop and collect my thoughts and think of her and things she had accomplished.


You wanted us to quote a known author, but I have to say the one person I admire more than even Helen Keller is my "lil man", Nicholas. He shows me daily what true strength and tenacity is. Even with all the constant obstacles he faces in his life, he still puts the needs of others ahead of his own.

8 comments:

rose said...

I like what you said about your son. It shows that you have the patience to help him to get through everyday life. You have a very good heart.

Ariston said...

Tammy, first off, it is awsome to see and hear how proud of Nicholas you are, and how you are not ashamed. He is one, as we are. I'm glad he has a mother that beleives in him and shows him great encouragement. We all think that life is bad, but you never know bad until you have some bad happen. I admire the strength that you and Nicholas both have. He is beautiful and something to be proud of!!!

Mandi said...

I liked what you said about your son. I myself have Cerebral Palsy, and by reading the quote you picked out makes me even believe I can accomplish anything that I put my heart and soul to. I admire you for being who you are with your son.

Timothy said...

I really liked your quote, i work with people that has Cerebral Palsy. So i know how hard it gets sometimes, and its great that you have the patience and the time to help him and not just stick him in a group home and leave him there with out someone to show him love.

Coty said...

Tammy remember that your son is a gift to you for whatever reason. I think that having a son like him makes you stronger and you can be an example for others that do not know such things can happen. I know its hard but you have made it through and still can. I admire your patients and Nicholas is something to be proud of.

Danielle said...

You are a very strong human being and a great mother for what you do, Nicholas is your baby no matter what the circumstances are.

Tammy Matheny said...

I love this quote. I have two autistic children. And even though they can't do everything that typical children do. They always try their best. And I am very proud of them. You have done a good job.

MaryLavon said...

Tammy,I really loved your quote, and I am really happy for you to see how strong and proud of Nicholas. I really admire how strong you really are and how strong you believe in this quote. And I think this is a really excellent choice, and very good information.