DO NOT POST COMMENTS UNTIL YOU ARE INSTRUCTED TO DO SO

AS OF 2/26 STUDENTS ARE NOW GIVEN PERMISSION TO POST THEIR COMMENTS.

INSTRUCTIONS FOR QUOTES FOR IRP

Choose a quote with a KNOWN author.
Your quote should be set up in the following manner.

Choose an appropriate title for your quote post, i.e. Becky's quote about winter, John's quote about happiness

"Put your chosen quote in quotation marks."
List the author of your quote underneath.
Leave a space.
Somewhere in the body of your quote include a picture that enhances your quote post.
Key in some background information on your author or something interesting you discovered about your author during the research of your quote that would be of interest to your peers.
Key in why you chose this quote, and/or why it has meaning to your life, etc.

Please have all quotes posted by the end of week 5.
When all quotes have been posted, I will instruct you to make comments (minimum of two). Pick two or more quotes by fellow classmates and add a comment to their post. You may comment on their quote or on their author or on the information they shared. Comments should be posted by the end of week 8.

Inappropriate quote posts or comments will not be tolerated and will result in a failing IRP grade. Build each other up, not tear each other down.


Tuesday, February 5, 2008

The Hobbit


"In a hole in the ground, there lived a hobbit."
J.R.R. Tolkien

With this one simple sentence, J.R.R. Tolkien started readers down a journey that I have followed over and over again since the prelude to his epic Lord of the Rings saga was read to me at the age of 8. I've loved those books since long before it was cool to love them, and when they were finally brought to the big screen it was a long-awaited dream for me. I first read Lord of the Rings for myself when I was in the fourth grade. It was my first serious reading, other than various kids' books, and I've been an avid reader ever since. And so, as the beginning of a long road that has yet to end - a road filled with magical beings, horrific terrors, and vivid imagery - I would have to label this as my favorite quote.

Of course, with the special editions of the Lord of the Rings movie trilogy there is little about Tolkien that you probably don't know. However, what they may not have mentioned is that the Lord of the Rings was an afterthought. Were it not for the suggestion of Tolkien's best friend, contemporary, and fellow Oxford Professor C.S. Lewis, it might never have been written. But Lewis did talk him into writing the sequel, and after it was completed Tolkien went back and made a few adjustments to the Hobbit for the sake of continuity. The rest, as they say...

2 comments:

$~*VaniLLAnGE1*~$ said...

Your quote makes me think back to being a child. My brother and I loved to make up little imaginary games.
I have the Lord of the Rings trilogy. After reading your quote I’m more inspired to watch it now.
Very well put together James.

Coty said...

I think your quote is good. When I was a child I remember reading books like that and them sending my mind off to wonder. You can imagine anything you want to when reading a book thats what makes it great.