DO NOT POST COMMENTS UNTIL YOU ARE INSTRUCTED TO DO SO

AS OF 2/26 STUDENTS ARE NOW GIVEN PERMISSION TO POST THEIR COMMENTS.

INSTRUCTIONS FOR QUOTES FOR IRP

Choose a quote with a KNOWN author.
Your quote should be set up in the following manner.

Choose an appropriate title for your quote post, i.e. Becky's quote about winter, John's quote about happiness

"Put your chosen quote in quotation marks."
List the author of your quote underneath.
Leave a space.
Somewhere in the body of your quote include a picture that enhances your quote post.
Key in some background information on your author or something interesting you discovered about your author during the research of your quote that would be of interest to your peers.
Key in why you chose this quote, and/or why it has meaning to your life, etc.

Please have all quotes posted by the end of week 5.
When all quotes have been posted, I will instruct you to make comments (minimum of two). Pick two or more quotes by fellow classmates and add a comment to their post. You may comment on their quote or on their author or on the information they shared. Comments should be posted by the end of week 8.

Inappropriate quote posts or comments will not be tolerated and will result in a failing IRP grade. Build each other up, not tear each other down.


Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Daddy's encouragement

“Keep a stiff upper lip”
~Phoebe Cary



I chose this simple, yet meaningful quote because it helped me through many of life’s callous moments. Although I am only 24, I have already been through my share of tough times. As far back as I can recall, all the times I was left crying and felt hopeless, my father would recite the quote “Keep a stiff upper lip” and despite how down I may have felt at the time, those words always put a smile on my face and would help me to regain some hope. It was a quote that his father would state to him throughout his life as well. I had never heard those words until my father. I always thought it was something my grandpa originated until I did research.

Unbeknownst to me, the quote “keep a stiff upper lip” dates back as far as the 1800’s and was an attribute to the British people, who were (are) perceived by many people as being reserved. That is what the quote means: no matter the circumstance faced, be emotionless, hide your feelings by keeping a stiff upper lip. There have been many writers and poets who have used this quote in their writings. It is not a quote that became known by any particular famous person, yet a saying that originated, like the similar quote “keep your chin up”.

One poet who used the quote in her writing, “And though hard be the task “keep a stiff upper lip” “, was Phoebe Cary. She became a well-known American poet during the middle of the 19th century. She and her sister Alice both published many poems in various leading magazines and in several books. These girls grew up in a rather poor family, where they earned their living as farmers. Their mother encouraged their writing, for she hoped it would bring them great fortune one day. Their mother passed away when the girls were 11 and 14. The girl’s new stepmother prohibited them to continue their writings because she felt it was an idle pursuit. Two years later the stepmother died, and they resumed their writing careers. The Cary’s poems landed them great admirers such as Edgar Allen Poe and William Holmes McGuffey. Phoebe died at age of 51 from malaria, five months after her sister Alice.

Though “Keep a stiff upper lip” may have originated hundreds of years ago and has since been used by many, I will always consider it my dad’s quote to me. I hope that you remember those words the next time life may bring at you a distressing or discouraging situation.

3 comments:

$~*VaniLLAnGE1*~$ said...

Never let the world see your vulnerabilities. The world will eat you up then spit you out. Like another famous quote states, “What don’t kill you will only make you stronger.”

Coty said...

Always keep your head up because several things in life will try to make you feel low. By keeping your head up you can help others and get through all the trials and tribulations that you are having yourself.

MaryLavon said...

I really liked this quote it's just so true. Because even though all the hard times we all been through we all just need to "keep a stiff upper lip". Also, it had some really good information that I didn't know about, and I just thought it just was a really good true quote.